Monday, August 26, 2013

Friendships and Haircut...two bits....

As a Salvation Army Officer, we move around quite a bit.  One of my concerns after a move is always about my children.  Will they like their new school?  Will they find activities that they enjoy?  The big question is:  Will they make new friends?  The answer to that has always been yes, in our experience.   Praise the Lord!  It is always around this time, however that I begin to feel a little lonely myself.  I have always enjoyed having friends in my life.  These women have gotten me through some pretty rough stuff!  But when the kids start school, and we begin to settle in to routine, I have found myself again longing for friendships.  I am sure I am not the only one who feels like this so I thought I would put together a few ways to find friends in your new appointment.

Your Corps:  Now this may seem like common sense, but sometimes this gets neglected. We have great women in our corps.  Get to know them and let them get to know you!!! 



Divisional and Territorial Events:  If you are moving to a new division, make sure you get to know your fellow officers.  They will be the ones that you call on to ask about policies, and will know the heartbeat of the divisionCamp assignments, divisional local officer trainings, and soldiers rallies are great events to attend.  Some divisions even offer a New Officers Orientation.  This is a great way for you to get to know the divisional staff officers and employees.



Civic Clubs:  As an officer we have the opportunity to meet others in our community who have a desire to help those that are in need.  A civic club can help connect you to people who not only are great partnerships in ministry and social work but in friendship as well.

Your Neighbors: Our kids are pretty outgoing so that has helped a lot.  They are not shy about inviting themselves into the houses, but we have a rule that they are not allowed to enter into a house until we have met their parents.  This serves two purposes.  One of course is safety!  We wouldn't want our children to go into a home of a stranger or someone we didn't trust.  Number two, it gives us the opportunity to meet others! 

Your Child's Sports Team:  Thing 1 loves baseball.  With at least one practice and one or two games a week, we had the opportunity to talk to the parents that are cheering their kids on.  I met one of my dear friends at those baseball practices and struck a friendship that lasted way longer than the baseball season!


Birthday Parties:  Thing 2 was invited to two birthday parties this weekend.  Because of a conflict we were only able to attend one.  It was really awkward at first honestly, going to a party and not knowing anyone, but I knew it was important for me to put myself out there!  Don't be afraid to step out and meet new people.  No one has to know that you are using the party as an excuse to talk to other moms! 

Your Child's School:  This has worked well for me in the past and probably the number one way to meet women who are at the same point in life as you are.  You automatically have some things in common as far as your kids go.  Volunteering for events in the class or at the school also gives you a common goal to work toward.



A Great Haircut: I know what you are thinking.  How in the world does a great haircut help?  Believe me, if you would have told me this before yesterday I too would have said you were crazy.  Yesterday, as Thing 2 and I were heading to the car from lunch, a woman chased me down.  She just loved my haircut and wanted to know who my stylist was.  (Thanks Melissa at Bella Si!!)  We struck up a conversation and I was even able to pray with her right on the spot!  God uses things, even hair cuts, to help us connect to others!  We have a few things in common and I look forward to getting to know her better.


The great thing about making friends in your appointments is that they can stay with you even through a move.  It can be kind of scary to meet new women, but I can tell you my life is much fuller because of them.  In each appointment I still have those special friends that keep in touch and even visit from time to time.  With Facebook, Skype, and FaceTime our kids have the opportunity to stay connected to friends and that has really helped them, especially though this last transition.  I cannot close without mentioning the friends that have stuck with me since high school and college and I am so thankful for them.  They are truly how I have gotten this far.  Friendships whether they are old or new, are how I am able to function as a person!  I am grateful for all of the connections that God has given me over the years!  Here's to many more!





No comments:

Post a Comment